Wednesday, September 20, 2017

"I love being a missionary"



Letter to Dad....

9/10/2017


That's awesome that you've been mentally preparing to work on the trans am for 16 transfers, I believe in you that you can finish it for this last one. Ya, it's been fun working on the BYU stuff.  I really want to go there now, a lot more than I did before.

I had the coolest experience on Saturday.  Back in my first area, Elder Arnejo and I taught a part member family.  The dad was baptized when he was about 14, but he never went to church.  The wife, Jackie, was very interested but they weren't married, so she couldn't get baptized.  We taught them pretty consistently and the oldest son, Jaybert, was baptized the week after I was transferred to Santa Mesa.

Jackie lived as an active member for the next 2 years.  She lived the commandments and faithfully attended church every Sunday with her kids.  She even attended relief society activities regularly.  On Wednesday, I got a text from the Boni 6 elders inviting me to her marriage and baptism.  She was married and baptized and it was awesome.  I got to be a witness.  For the 2nd counselor's closing remarks, he recounted how faithful she has lived for the last 2 years and then said that she is now really "one of us".  She cried.  We started teaching her in my first transfer and I got to see her baptism in my last transfer.  It was awesome and it is really cool how Heavenly Father works.

I love you dad
Elder Zesiger



9/17/2017

haha this email is awesome.  That is exactly how it feels.  Last night we were teaching this 21 year old kid that we found and he had already read all the preface stuff and the first two chapters of the Book of Mormon and I thought "I love being a missionary."

We are working with the coolest two families right now, the Hinto and Corpuz families and I love them a lot.

I had a cool experience at MLC on Wednesday.  When we asked President what he wanted us to teach, he just told us to think about nothing and then stand up and say the words that the Spirit would put into our minds.

When I stood up there, my mind was blank, so I just got a marker and wrote two words on the board.  Humility and Integrity because I had been studying those topics lately.  After I had those words on there, thoughts just started coming and we ended up having a 30 min discussion on how we can better work with members and give them as much if not more effort than we are giving to knocking on doors.   It was awesome and a cool feeling.

It is a crazy feeling with 30 days left, especially since we will be super busy for the next few weeks.  On Tuesday we are flying to Palawan and we will work in Tay Tay until Saturday to try and save a struggling branch up there.  I will be with Elder Davis so it is awesome!  After that, we have 3 zone conferences and that will take like the whole week.  Then we have MLC again and then general conference and then I'm home.  It is kind of scary haha.

I love you dad
Elder Zesiger


Letter to Mom....
  
9/10/2017

The little girl's name is Angel.  She is a member of a family that we are teaching right now.  She is actually sister Dole's niece but she lives with them.  I totally thought that grandma z went there for college haha, I guess I'll change it.  But I need you to get all of that High school info and my social security number, and my ap and ce classes and to which schools they apply.  Kaya mo iyan!

Shelby's birthday looks awesome!

I had a really fun week.  It was transfer week and we took the last batch ahead of me home, it was weird.  At one point, because of logistics I ended up in a car by myself.  I had no one to talk to and no radio and it was super weird to be alone for the first time in 2 years.  I was driving to the mission home and it was supposed to take about 30 mins.  Since I had nothing to do, I just started singing hymns.  Once I got bored with that I started remixing the tunes.  I got so into my self concert that I forgot what I ended up driving home.  When I got close, I noticed that Elder Fiesta wasn't with me and remembered what I was doing.  I turned around and it ended up being a 2 hour drive!  I was going a little crazy I think from being alone haha.  But it was hilarious.

Sister Turner said something cool about me.  When she saw me working on my essays. she asked me what I would be studying for.  I told that I used to be sure, but i'm confused now between entrepreneur, ophthalmologist, and lawyer.  She told me that I would be a good lawyer because I have a "professional presence".  When I asked what that was she said that I seem secure and confident about myself and that whenever I walk into a room, people look to me for direction, so that was cool.

It was a fun week.  I love you mom, please encourage dad to finish the trans am

Elder Zesiger


9/17/2017
Mom, you are the worst pump up crew ever...  ( I told him I didn't know if he'd get into BYU because of his grades haha) Do you remember when Coby wanted to do a backflip on skis and then you talked him out of it with your unbelief?  You need to have faith first and then if there is failure you can give cool comforting words, but don't assume failure, assume success.  That is why we set goals.  ðŸ˜‰ðŸ˜Ž

That's awesome about your Book of Mormon!  That is a cool part, I was there yesterday!  I am trying to finish the Tagalog before I get home and I'm in 3rd Nephi.  

That sounds super awesome about your half marathon!  I'll go running with you whenever you want.  I feel like when I get home I just want to read and study and work and prepare for school haha.  I won't be bored.

I had the coolest experience on p-day.  Elder Fiesta and I watched the Testaments and I think it was like the first time I've watched it since I was like 8.  You should show it to Coby.  We both cried at the end and then I got fired up again on my goal to finish the aklat ni mormon before I get home.  I read from Helaman 2 to 3 Nephi












 after the movie cuz I was so excited.


Later, we went to a baptism and the 2nd counselor gave the coolest remarks that I'v
e ever heard.  He told the story of how, in school, people would ask him if his parents were members of the church too.  He'd say yes and then they'd say, "well of course you're a mormon then, you have to be."  He went and got his own testimony and for the longest time, he said that he was a member because of his own testimony regardless of his parents.  

One day, he was reading 1 Nephi 1:1 and wondering why Nephi would start the book by talking about his parents, why not the Atonement of Jesus Christ, or faith, or revelation, or something like that.  After pondering, he felt that Nephi would not be Nephi without Lehi and Sariah.  He finished by saying that he is a member BECAUSE of his parents.  He has his own testimony but he is immeasurably grateful to his parents for raising him in the church, even though it was hard.

I feel the same way.  I love you mom and I am so grateful for you and your testimony.  I left on a mission because of you.  If you weren't there to push me and fill out the papers, I wouldn't have gone.  I am so grateful for your example to me.

I love you mom,
Elder Zesiger 

No comments:

Post a Comment